This 5-week Chinese character introductory course is designed for beginners with an interest in Chinese characters. The course is taught in English.
By the end of the course students should be able to understand:
- how Chinese characters have been evolved through the history
- the structure of Chinese characters
- principles of formation
- radicals and rules of stroke order
- at least 150 Chinese characters.
Introduction to Chinese Characters
• The structure of Chinese characters
• Character components and radicals
• Rules of stroke order
• Phonetic and semantic components of Chinese characters
• How to use a Chinese dictionary
• How to input Chinese characters by computer
The course is tutorial-based with a combination of joint class activities and group work. Supplementary material is prepared by the teacher. In order to fully benefit from the course and to achieve the learning outcomes, students are expected to spend 1-2 hours per class on revision and homework.
Course materials will be provided by the teacher at the classes.
If you feel you have specific requirements to enable you to study with us, please contact our Student Support Team by email StudentSupport.COL@ed.ac.uk or by phone 0131 650 4400 to arrange a confidential discussion. Giving us this information will enable us to make arrangements to meet your requirements for studying in accordance with your rights under the Equality Act 2010.