This course is designed for complete beginners with little or no knowledge of Chinese language.
On completion of this 5-week intensive course (two 2-hour classes per week), students will be able to:
- master Pinyin, the Chinese pronunciation system
- use simple greetings and make basic conversations
- recognise approx. 120 Chinese characters and write the learnt Chinese characters
- have a good command of about 120 Chinese characters
- be familiar with basic grammar and sentence structures that can be used in every-day conversations and to express events related to the present.
- have an understanding of China and its customs and ways of life
Chinese for Beginners
- The Chinese pronunciation system “pinyin”;
- Making introductions;
- Presenting personal information, such as nationality and age;
- Using numbers and time;
- Talking about family.
The course is tutorial based with a combination of joint class activities and group work. Supplementary material is prepared by the teacher. In order to fully benefit from the course and to achieve the learning outcomes, students are expected to spend 1-2 hours per class on revision and homework.
Wu Zhongwei. Contemporary Chinese for Beginners. Beijing: Sinolingua, 2010.
There will be an additional charge for the textbook and workbook, not exceeding £30. The materials can be purchased with the Confucius Institute for Scotland via this link or in the first class of the semester at the Confucius Institute for Scotland.
If you feel you have specific requirements to enable you to study with us, please contact our Student Support Team by email StudentSupport.COL@ed.ac.uk or by phone 0131 650 4400 to arrange a confidential discussion. Giving us this information will enable us to make arrangements to meet your requirements for studying in accordance with your rights under the Equality Act 2010.