Minimum Age for Enrolment
Please note minimum age for enrolment on Centre for Open Learning Courses is as follows:
- Short Courses, Languages for all and Art and Design Courses - Students must be a minimum of 16 years of age at time of course booking.
- English Language Education courses - Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age at the beginning of the course.
Cancellation of Courses by COL
- We reserve the right to reschedule or cancel courses. Reasons for this may be, but not restricted to, low enrolment numbers, weather warnings and tutor availability.
- Many of our courses require a minimum number of enrolments. Where the courses do not reach the minimum number required they will be cancelled no later than 7 days before they are due to start *
- We may be required to cancel an individual class at short notice. Wherever possible we will endeavour to offer the class at a later date * If it is not possible to rearrange this class or you cannot attend the new date, a partial refund will be given.
- Disclaimer The University of Edinburgh is not responsible for any additional costs you may have incurred, including costs for travel or accommodation. Further information is detailed below.
Cancellation by You
- Once you have completed your booking and received your emailed/verbal confirmation of enrolment or a dated payment receipt, you are deemed to have a contract with COL. You have the right to cancel this contract with us. The cancellation period will expire at the end of 14 days after the University fully accepts your application of enrolment. Please make sure to check the details in the Cancellation Policy below.
- After the cancellation period has expired consideration may be given, on a case by case basis, to requests to cancel where exceptional circumstances exist. A refund may be given or a credit note issued which can be used against future course fees. Students may be asked to provide supporting evidence, e.g. a medical certificate.
- Students should be aware at the time of booking that, outwith the statutory 14 day cancellation period, there is no automatic right to cancel and there will be no refund of fees.
- A 25% administration fee (of the total course fee at time of booking) will be charged for any refunds made outside of statutory obligations.
- To qualify for a reduced or concessionary fee you must be eligible at the time of enrolment and be prepared to provide supporting evidence. Only one concession may be claimed at a time *
- Most course fees do not include materials, books, etc. - please check course details. We advise against purchasing these in advance of the course commencing, as any associated costs are not the responsibility of COL/The University of Edinburgh and are purchased at your own risk should the course be cancelled.
Travel and Accommodation Bookings
- We strongly advise students to purchase the appropriate insurance cover for any travel or accommodation (this applies to both private and University accommodation) booked prior to the course commencing, these will not be reimbursed upon cancellation of the course by COL.
- Please be aware that, outside of the statutory 14 day cancellation period, you are only entitled to a refund if COL cancel the course *
- Refunds are not available should you have a change in circumstances that makes continued attendance at the course difficult, or additional responsibilities that affect time commitment to study, and students should consider both their availability and commitments carefully at the time of booking with this in mind
- Wherever possible, when we cancel, we will transfer you to another course of your choosing provided there are places available. If the cost of the course you have transferred to is less than your original payment you will be refunded the balance. If the new course fees are greater you will be asked to arrange payment accordingly *
- Please note that credit towards another course is valid for one calendar year after it is applied to the student’s account *
- If you have applied and are in receipt of an Integrated Offer (IEAP) full fee payment is non-refundable as part of the Terms and Conditions of the admissions offer to study at University of Edinburgh **
- Requests for refunds as a consequence of failure to obtain a visa for study must be supported by evidence **
- Where we provide courses which offer progression opportunities we cannot reserve places for future study without full payment and a confirmed course booking. Please note that confirmation into progressive courses may be subject to, but not limited to, attaining specific language levels and UKVI requirements.
COL makes every effort to ensure you enjoy your course of study. In the unlikely event that you have a complaint about any aspect of the Centre for Open Learning this should be made in the first instance to the department via email: email@example.com We will follow the University’s complaints procedure, details of which are available from the University’s Academic Services: http://www.ed.ac.uk/university-secretary-group/complaint-handling-procedure
*Please be aware that this section applies directly to Short Courses and LFA at COL. http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/short-courses
**Please be aware that this section applies directly to English Language Education courses. http://www.ed.ac.uk/english-language-teaching
Your Right to Cancel
- You have a right to cancel your contract with us within 14 days, under The Consumer Rights Act 2015. Please read this information carefully. Once you have completed your booking and received your emailed/verbal confirmation of enrolment or a dated payment receipt, you are deemed to have a contract with COL
- You have the right to cancel this contract with us without giving any reason. The cancellation period will expire at the end of 14 days after the University confirms your enrolment. If you wish to cancel in accordance with the Consumer Rights Act you must inform us of your decision in a clear statement by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (COL General Enquires) or appearing in person to Centre for Open Learning’s Reception, Paterson’s Land, Holyrood Road, Edinburgh, EH8 8AQ. You may wish to use the model cancellation form below.
- To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to advise us that you wish to cancel before the cancellation period has expired. Please note that a request for cancellation must be made by email or in person at COL
Effects of Cancellation
- If you exercise your right to cancel before the course begins, we will reimburse you all payments received from you or offer to transfer this credit to another course where appropriate. We will make the reimbursement without undue delay, and not later than 21 days after the day on which we are informed about your decision to cancel the contract.
- If you agreed to us beginning the course during the cancellation period, you shall pay us an amount which is in proportion to the fee for the number of classes completed until you have communicated to us your cancellation of this contract.*
- We will make reimbursement using the method in the table below. If we need to reimburse by international bank transfer we will deduct bank charges.
Credit/Debit Card (Online or In Person)
Same Card as payment (if the card has since expired, BACS)
You will lose your right to cancel if the course has been fully completed during the cancellation period, and it began:
- After direct express agreement that the course may start during the cancellation period
- With direct acknowledgement that cancellation rights are lost once the course has been fully completed.
Studying for Credit Guide, Rules and Regulations and Terms and Conditions
For details of Credit Study, Rules and Regulations and Terms and Conditions at the Centre for Open Learning, please see the following documents :
- Studying for Credit Guide Part 1 - Registering for Credit Study (355.72 KB PDF)
- Studying for Credit Guide Part 2 - Rules and Regulations (217.61 KB PDF)
- Study For Credit Guide Part 3 - Assessment (885.64 KB PDF)
- Studying for Credit Guide - Additional Marking Schemes (478.45 KB PDF)
- Short Course Essay Plan 2016/17 (42 KB Word)
- Credit Study Terms and Conditions (297.02 KB PDF)